Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

A green card holder broke the spoiler on his girl friends…

Customer Question
A green card holder broke...
A green card holder broke the spoiler on his girl friend's car. She sued him; his charges are criminal mishcief, felony 4 under state law. There is no conviction yet.
1. Is this a crime against moral turpitude?
2. Is this a deportable charge (if he is convicted)?
3. What implication does this have on his immigration status?
4. What defenses does he have?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/28/2010
Immigration Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 8 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Okay. Well the fact that she sued him is not relevant - civil suits have no effect on GC holding. Did ICE put a lock on him after he was arrested, or did he bond out successfully?

There is no lock on him. He is going to court tomorrow. I understand you may be helping other clients but I really need an aswer within the next 20 minutes. If you could assist me I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
Here's my answer: EVERY GC holder who gets a conviction potentially faces deportation. HOWEVER, there's low interest and high interest. Since ICE did not put a lock on him, it's low interest, meaning they don't care, meaning he's NOT going to get deported.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”