Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I m a pharmacist on an approved work visa and originally on…

Customer Question
I m a pharmacist on...
I m a pharmacist on an approved work visa and originally on F1 and I also have an approved petition(filed in 2002) from a sister waiting for visa no. However, I got married last Friday and planning to file for a GC because it would be faster. I m kind of confused because I have an approved petition already> what should I do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/28/2010
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 8 years ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney
But you do not have an approved I-130 through your spouse, only through your sister, correct?
yes

Then you have to file a new one through your spouse. Nothing happens to your sister's, but you can't use that one yet and if all goes well through the new process that you will file, then you won't need your sister's anyway. It still continues to run just in case things don't work out with your new process. What I am saying is that you can have many I-130s pending at the same time and they do not interfere with each other or cancel each other out.

You will need to file an adjustment package. This includes the following forms: I-130 (Petition for family member), I-485 (application for Lawful Permanent Residency), I-765 (Application for work permit), I-131 (Application for Advance Parole), G-325a (Biographic data - one for each of you), I-864 (Affidavit of support). You will need to file each form with supporting evidence and appropriate filing fees. You can find these forms at www.uscis.gov.

The supporting evidence that you would file would be birth certificates, marriage certificate, divorce certificates if either of you have been married previously, proof of your spouse's U.S. Citizenship, proof of your legal entry into the U.S., and financial documents of your spouse to prove their income over the last year at least.

In about 3 to 5 months after filing, you should get a work permit. About 5 to 7 months after filing you should get a marriage interview. If all goes well, a few weeks later you should get a Residency status (green card).

i m on H1 b already. do i still need to apply for work permit?
You should, yes. It is included in the price anyway.
Thanks for your answer. I appreciate it.
You are very welcome. Good luck to you!