Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

What is faster, a permanent resident petitioning their son…

Customer Question
What is faster, a permanent...
What is faster, a permanent resident petitioning their son and daughter or, a us citizen petitoning their brother and sister?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/27/2010
Immigration Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 8 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

It will be a US Citizen petitioning their brother or sister - faster category.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Just to clarify..because once we start this process I know it will be a while before this process is finished, and I want to be absolutely sure we are doing the most streamlined process possible. The initial question was sort of generalized, so here is the situation.

My wife is a U.S. citizen and wants to petition her brother and sister. Her father just arrived here in the U.S. with lawful permanent resident status and we want to know if it would be faster for him to petition his son and daughter, or have my wife petiton them (her brother and sister)? Please advise. Thank you

I see. No, in this case, it will be faster by the father! Thee father's petition would fall into the 2B category - 10 years. The wife's petition would fall into the 4th category - 21 years! See here: http://travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_5019.html