Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My ex husband & I adopted an Australian baby girl in 1971 when…

Customer Question
My ex husband & I...
My ex husband & I adopted an Australian baby girl in 1971 when stationed with the US Air Force in Australia. She came to the US with an Australian passport and was issued an Alien Registration Card. Is she an American citizen because we are, or is she still a citizen of Australia.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
6/27/2010
Immigration Lawyer: Alex, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Alex
Alex, Lawyer
Do you know who her biological Australian parents are?
No, it was a closed adoption.
Should be entitled to Australian citizenship. Whether or not she is entitled to US citizenship, I do not know.
I know she has Australian citizenship. I want to know if she is an American citizen.
I see you are practicing in Australia. I need a lawyer in the US to reply. This has to do with US citizenship.
I'll transfer you over to the US law section.
Thank you.
I didn't get an acceptable answer yet from the US law section.