Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Hi, I will appreciate anyone answer my question: I worked…

Hi, I will appreciate anyone...
Hi, I will appreciate anyone answer my question:
I worked for company A with H1B visa which will expire in August. I got an offer from company B and signed it. Company B applied H1B transfer & extension for me, and applied h4 extension for my wife (which will expire in August as well) as well. Now all the transfer and extension have been approved. Due to some personal reason, I can't go to Company B. We made a deal to cancel my approved H1B transfer. Now either I stay in Company A or go to another Company C, I need to file a new h1b transfer and extension, That is for sure. My question is: do I need ask Company C help to file H4 extension for my wife as well? Or she can use the approved notice that we got from company B's application?

Thank you very much
6/26/2010
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Your spouse can use the extension filed by Co B to remain in status. She does not have to file a new I-539.

Judith

promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. You are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed in this public forum.

Does that mean even when Company B withdraw the H1B transfer and extension for my case, my wife's case won't be affected as long as I am with a valid H1B status?

Correct, as long as you are in status, her extension is valid, no matter what company you work for.

However, be sure to keep track of her expiration date as it will probably be different from yours. That its why it is generally a good idea to file an I-539 with the I-129 so they have the same end date.

Judith

Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Thank you so much

All the best.

Judith

Sorry, one more small question: Does company B have rights to withdraw the H4 extension of my wife's case? (it has already been approved, and we have the notice and I94)

No, they have no ability to do anything regarding your wife.

Judith