Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

what should we do here im merriage an american citizen almost…

Customer Question
what should we do here...
what should we do here im merriage an american citizen almost 4 year ,we have hard time to get may peper work .my green card dinied cause of may c1 visa .plase tell us what we should do
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
6/25/2010
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 8 years ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney
You entered on a C-1 or a C-1/D? You were coming to the U.S. to meet a ship or plane that you were a crewmember of or you got off of a ship or plane that you were a crewmember of?

i enter with c1 visa ,i just get vication.i spouse to get on the cruise to singn my contrac but ididntcaue i get sick when i arrive usa.my case was doing good till i get my work permit,but when i get interview green card they turn me down

But you were coming to meet a ship that you were going to be a crewmember on, correct?

And the work permit is what everyone gets while they wait for their I-485 to be approved or denied, so it doesn't really mean that the case is going good or bad.

yes i spouse to sign up but im not ,so what im spouse to do next ,please guide us

How much illegal time did you have in the U.S. from the point that your visa expired to the point you filed the I-485?

1 month on my visa,
I know you had one month on your visa, but when your I-94 expired, how much time passed from that date until the date that you filed the I-485?
1 year.

Unfortunately, I have very bad news for you. That visa is one of the worst to have because you cannot get Residency inside the U.S. for any reason except asylum. Not even being married to a U.S. Citizen helps. So really you only have three options:

1) Wait for an immigration law to come out that will help you. I have high hopes that next year or maybe the following, something good will come out.

2) Apply for Asylum (you had to have done this within the 1st year be being in the U.S. unless there are changed country conditions), Withholding of Removal, Convention Against Torture, or Cancellation of Removal. The first three things are if you fear to return to your home country because you believe that you will be specifically targeted due to your race, religion, nationality, social group or political opinion and that you run a high risk of great bodily injury, torture, or death as a result. The last, Cancellation, you would have to prove that you have been at least 10 years in the U.S. AND you must also prove that if you are deported, a U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident that depends upon you will suffer exceptional and extremely unusual hardship. This hardship must be something more than emotional separation hardship or financial hardship, so it is difficult to get.

3) Since you are married to a U.S. Citizen, you could file an I-130 here in the U.S. (which will give you no legal status, but you might be able to get a drivers license with the receipt), but once that I-130 is approved, really the only thing you can do is leave the U.S. and apply to come back in at the U.S. Embassy/consulate in your home country as the spouse of a U.S. Citizen. At that point, they will want to deny you because you overstayed 1 year or more. So you would have to apply for an I-601 waiver (forgiveness) and to get this waiver you will have to prove that your spouse will suffer extreme hardship if you are not allowed back in to the U.S. These waivers are very difficult to get. The reason they are difficult to get is because your spouse's hardship probably will need to be more than just economic hardship or emotional separation hardship. So because they are difficult to get, no one wants to risk leaving the U.S. and getting stuck outside for 10 years if it isn't granted.

You can look at this link to get more information on I-601 waivers. It is from the U.S. Embassy in Syria, but it is a good description and the process should be similar in all U.S. Embassies.

http://damascus.usembassy.gov/ina212.html

and here is another link:

http://ciudadjuarez.usconsulate.gov/hcis601.html

And here is a link to what extreme hardship is:

http://www.ilw.com/articles/2007,0717-scott.shtm

I am truly sorry for the bad news, but the options are very limited at the moment.

i this time i still had b2 visa i never been use .do you thing that visa stiil good
Unfortunately, once you overstay even 1 day, any visa you had was cancelled. Also, if you try to leave and come back, you activate the 10 year bar.

waht do you think if may husband try to bring me back cause his mom now disable and really nrrd my help to taking care of her do you thing is good idea

are you there

Yes, I am here. I don't think you have a very good chance. Her hardship doesn't really count, only his and you saying that he would have great hardship in taking care of his mother because you help him is not a great argument. It can help a little, but with that I would not take the risk.
what about the kid
The only hardship that counts for an I-601 waiver is the hardship of your spouse or YOUR parent if that parent is a U.S. Citizen or U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident. The hardship of children do not count.
if one day they do amnesty ,do you thing im qualifiy for that,or will be not accepted for my care cause of c1 visa?
im sorry i know u r busy.but ireally need to find out this last question
No one knows when it will come out and who it will help. So you have no way knowing if it would help you or not.