Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Im a u.s citizen I have 2 daughters with my husband (we just…

I'm a u.s citizen I...
I'm a u.s citizen I have 2 daughters with my husband (we just married 2009) He's been here for years has a good education and has worked hard after his schooling there are many Ex employers and teachers that would gladly vouch for him if it helped we live in Kansas now and we really dont know where to start the legalizing prosses. We have many plans bussinesses more schooling and travel but all of this is in a pause because of his legal status. Help! should we keep on hoping? Is there any hope for my husband at all?
6/25/2010
LawForAll
LawForAll, Lawyer
Hello. Yes, of course, if you are a US citizen and you are married to your husband legitimately, he is certainly allowed to obtain a green card and eventually citizenship through your sponsorship. You need to file for an adjustment of status and get the process underway. It could take a couple of years depending on where you apply.

Kimberly
Do you have any info. about where or what we should start with we have no clue
Sure, I'd be happy to point you in the right direction.

Here is the main website for the USCIS, where you apply for the green card.
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis

Here is the specific page with the info about applying for the green card through a family member.
http://tiny.cc/64bdd

On the right side of that page you will see the section "forms" where there are all the forms that you need.

To be honest, this process can be a little complicated and you need to make sure everything is done correctly. I would advise hiring someone to fill out the forms and submit them for you to make sure it goes smoothly.

Kimberly
LawForAll
LawForAll, Lawyer
Thank you I guess I was looking for a more detailed answer but thanks
I gave you all the forms you need, what else did you need?