Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

if only after one year of marriage can a girl from a different…

Customer Question
if only after one year...
if only after one year of marriage can a girl from a different country, keep her permanent residency, or will she be automatically deported after the divorce? She has all the proper evidence of marrital status, but I need to know if I have options including witnesses to testify their disbelief in her true objective?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
6/24/2010
Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

She will have to file the I-751 and request a waiver of the joint filing and show evidence that it was a real marriage and not entered into the immigration only.

She will have to provide copies of joint accounts, joint assets, joint insurance, etc.

Judith

promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. You are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed in this public forum.

What if she leaves for what are trivial reasons like maybe she should lose some weight????

The reason is not what is important unless she can prove physical abuse.

Judith

Relist: Incomplete answer.
what are my options?
Relist: Incomplete answer.
So you are saying that no matter what, if she can prove the information you said she needs to that I have no recourse??

If you believe she entered into the marriage fraudulently you need to file for an annulment and then notify CIS that she married you only for a resident visa. You should provide statements from the witnesses you have and any other evidence you possess to show she only married yuo for a visa.

The immigration office will assess your evidence and make a determination as to who is credible - you or her. So the more information you give them the better opportunity that she will be denied the removal of conditions and deported.

Don't shoot the messenger - you have to build your case against her.

Judith