How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 103584
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there any way I can legally live (not work, Im retired)

Customer Question

Is there any way I can legally live (not work, I'm retired) in the USA during the immigration process. My wife has applied as my sponsor. She is a US citizen. I am a Canadian citizen. Thank you.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 8 years ago.
Yes. While you are waiting for your I-130 to finish, you can file for an EAD - work authorization. See here:

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Okay... I see Employment Authorization Document, which implies (but not clearly enough) permission for residency. So, again, to my original question, specifically NOT about employment, but rather about living in the USA during the immigration process... is there a route to that?
Expert:  Ely replied 8 years ago.
Please tell me what visa you are on now, and your wife filed an I-130/I-485 for you, correct?