Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have an H1B VISA on its extension which expires on September…

Customer Question
I have an H1B VISA...
I have an H1B VISA on its extension which expires on September 30th 2010. Do I have to leave the USA on this date or is there a grace period before I need to be out of the country? If I needed to leave on September 30th could I go to Canada and reenter the US on a visitor's visa to travel for a few weeks before I return to my home country of the UK permanently?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
6/23/2010
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 8 years ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney
You are supposed to leave by the 30th of September. There is an unofficial "grace period" of 10 days but I would not do that, I would leave on the 30th. Also, you could leave to Canada, but you would have to be there for at least 30 days before you could come back to the U.S. and get a new I-94 and also there would be no guarantee to coming back in because they will want to know why you are coming back so soon.