Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I entered US with a F1 visa in Aug 2007, Applied for H1 in…

Customer Question
I entered US with a...
I entered US with a F1 visa in Aug 2007, Applied for H1 in April 2009
and it got approved for 4 months, i.e from 0ct 09 till jan 10.So my
I-94 is till Jan 2010. My employer applied for H1 extension but got
a RFE on April 6, my status is still pending as of yet. I recently
applied to a school for Phd program and got an I20.
I applied for Change of status from H1 to F1. If my change of status gets approved, can i go out of country and enter US with new issued I20 and my F1 visa that was stamped in 2007 coz its validity is till 2012. I have never traveled out side USA and i still have valid F1 stamp in my passport. I'm from India. If i have to get my visa stamped can i do it in anyother country other than my home country
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
6/23/2010
Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Since your I-20 was issued with a different I-20 and your SEVIS number has changed you would have to apply for a new F1 visa stamp to be able to travel.

A US Embassy or Consulate has to accept your application for the visa but they will not make the determination of your intent to return and will deny it and ell you to go to your own country where they are better able to make a determination of you rintent.

Judith

The information provided is general in nature and should not be construed as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship. The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice. By accepting you agree you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims,

promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. You are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed in this public forum.

If I answered your question and you agree with the above, please click ACCEPT & leave positive feedback.

Relist: Incomplete answer.