Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My girlfriend Carmen is here from Mexico for the summer on…

Customer Question
My girlfriend Carmen is here...
My girlfriend Carmen is here from Mexico for the summer on a B1/B2 Tourist visa. Can she take a "English as a Second Language" class at the local community college without violating the terms of a tourist visa? We are in Washington state.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
6/23/2010
Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

No, she is not permitted to attend school under the terms of the B2 visa.

She has to apply to the school for an I020 to be issued and then file for a change of status and then either apply for a new visa at the consulate or file for a change of status in the US.

Judith

The information provided is general in nature and should not be construed as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship. The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice. By accepting you agree you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims,

promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. You are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed in this public forum.

If I answered your question and you agree with the above, please click ACCEPT & leave positive feedback.