Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Hi. Im an international student just graduated from my previous…

Customer Question
Hi. I'm an international student...
Hi. I'm an international student just graduated from my previous college (ENMU) and want to attend another university. My past DSO terminated my I-20 by mistake, and transfered the terminated record to my new university. I was notified that when I checked in with my new DSO. My past DSO said she needs my SEVIS record transfered back to ENMU and she will correct her mistake for me, which will take about a week. After that, she will transfer my activated I-20 to my new university. My question is : is it possible? because as long as I know, I have to file a reinstatement to USCIS to regain my status. But since it's not my mistake at all, is it ok to let my past DSO to correct it?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/22/2010
Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Yes, the former DSO can contac tthe Help Desk and ask for a correction for the premature termination and then the new DSO can fix everything.\\Judith

The information provided is general in nature and should not be construed as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship. The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice. By accepting you agree you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims,

promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. You are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed in this public forum.

If I answered your question and you agree with the above, please click ACCEPT & leave positive feedback.

Hi. Thank you for your answer. My past DSO has written a letter to SEVIS to explain her mistake. However, she told me my SEVIS record was terminated in April, which made me concern, because in April, I requested an OPT withdrawal to USCIS. Before I decided to transfer to my new school (SU), I applied for an OPT authorization, and USCIS approved my OPT on March 25. I got my EAD card, which said my OPT start date is on June 1st. At that time, I changed my mind, because I was admitted to SU and decided to continue study instead of doing OPT. I filed the OPT withdrawal application in April and returned my EAD card. However, I never hear back from USCIS, and don't know whether they withdrawal my OPT recommendation or not. Also in April, I set up a SEVIS record release date (May, 21) with my past DSO, to let system transfer my SEVIS to SU on May 21. -- which means my record was transfered before my OPT start date. Today, when I know that my SEVIS record was terminated in April, I'm concerning what is the possible reason for this termination?? and after I finish a new degree in SU, is it still possible for me to get another OPT? (My second degree is at the same level with my first, both Master's degree)

I know my situation is so complicated, if you can give me some guidances, I will appreciate so much!!!