Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Hello, My name is Angeline and Iam writing you for my mother…

Customer Question
Hello, My name is XXXXX...
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX Iam writing you for my mother who does not read and write. She was sold by her father at 14, in Brazil, to a woman we'll call Lucy. Lucy never sent my mom to school. My mom was a live in maid. Lucy told my mom that she was a citizen but mom found out recently she was not. She is a legal resident. Problem is she lost her residency papers and her passport has been long expired. She does not have her birth certificate either. I want to help her but I don't know how. She was married to my father for nearly 20 years, they are divorced now. Can you please guide me in the right direction?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
6/23/2010
Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

She has to communicate with the Brizilian consulate to get her passport. She will not be able to to replace her US resident card until she has evidence of her identity and for that she needs a photo ID from an official government source.

So on her behalf you will need to talk to the consul at the Brizilian Consulate and get their guidance on how to move forward on getting the passport.

Judith

The information provided is general in nature and should not be construed as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship. The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice. By accepting you agree you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims,

promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. You are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed in this public forum.

If I answered your question and you agree with the above, please click ACCEPT & leave positive feedback.

I know about the Brazilian Consolute. I need to know some specifics about obtaining her passport and obtaining her records with her residency papers. And I need to know where to send for a copy of her birth certificate.

where to send for a copy of her birth certificate.

I would very much like to help you but we are not Brazilian document or law experts. I have tried to direct you to the Brazilian consul general's office who can give you these answers.

Here is a link on where you obtain Birth Certificates in Brazil but is lacks address contacts which the Consul General is able to provide you

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/reciprocity/reciprocity_4881.html?cid=3521

I will opt out and allow another expert to assist you if they are qualified in Brazilian affairs on this US immigration law forum.

Please there is no need to respond.

Judith