Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

hi my friend had a c1-d visa ,still has but expired.He also…

Customer Question
hi my friend had a c1-d...
hi
my friend had a c1-d visa ,still has but expired.He also has a girl friend.He is been here about 10 years .They like to get marry .what advice would you give them
Thank you
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
6/20/2010
Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

He will not be able to get resident status (green card) through marriage to a US citizen. His visa does not allow him to adjust status in the US.

He would have to go back to his home country to apply for an immigrant visa based on the marriage and he would trigger a 10 year bar to coming back.

He should wait to see if we get new immigration laws passed that will allow him to file in the US so he doesn't have the bar.

Judith

promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. You are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed in this public forum.

what are the chances to trigger the bar

Thank you

If he leaves 100%.

Judith