Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

What are the circumstances in which a motion to reopen based…

Customer Question
What are the circumstances in...
What are the circumstances in which a motion to reopen based on marriage after the commencement of the removal proceedings may be granted?.Because I red that the motion to reopen must be timely filed (within 90 days of a final order).
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
6/19/2010
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 8 years ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

If you are passed the 90 days, you can try to file a proposed joint motion to reopen with the ICE attorney and if that fails you can file a motion to reopen sua sponte directly with the immigration judge.

The reason you would list for reopening would be because of marriage to a U.S. Citizen and hopefully you have an I-130 approved already. If not, you may have to wait until you get an approval. You would also want to submit evidence that the marriage is real.