Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

If I want to apply green card through my husband which is green…

Customer Question
If I want to apply...
If I want to apply green card through my husband which is green card holder, can I get EAD right away?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
6/18/2010
Immigration Lawyer: Wilton A. Person, Immigration Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Wilton A. Person
Wilton A. Person, Immigration Lawyer

Unfortunately, no. A petition by your husband as a green card holder would not allow you an immediate visa and you would not be able to apply for a EAD until you apply for a green card. A petition for the spouse of a permanent resident generally takes two years or more based upon the most current visa bulletin.

Here is the link to the July visa bulletin.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_5019.html

Can I start to work immediately if I file H1-B?
No, you could not work immediately unless your H1B visa has already been approved.