Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I married my wife a year and a half ago - she was on tourist…

Customer Question
I married my wife a...
I married my wife a year and a half ago - she was on tourist visa. She did not move to live with me after marriage in January 2009, claiming she needs A bigger place for her and her child (I have a second bigger house but it was occupied by tenants). Her mother got sick (cancer) on may , 2009 so after that my wife said that she needs to take care of her mom. I was ok with that and helped them. We had our GC interview August 2009 - my wife moved to my place two weeks before that saying that she will live with me from now on. After interview she moved back to her mom's house claiming her mom was feeling worse. She got her conditional GC. I was visiting them and helping. I also became suspicious and reported her to ICE on February 2010. I made a mistake when I said to the ICE officer " She never lived with me after the marriage" The officer asked again and I repeated.
Her mom died on March 2010 and my wife moved to my place (a bigger house). And we live happily now. I never told her about report.
Questions:
1.Will I get in trouble now if I sign a Petition to remove the GC condition? Do ICE use voice recorder for reports?

2.What other optioins do I have (divorce etc) I don't want to hurt her but now I want to protect myself.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
6/18/2010
Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

1.Will I get in trouble now if I sign a Petition to remove the GC condition? Do ICE use voice recorder for reports? 2.What other optioins do I have (divorce etc) I don't want to hurt her but now I want to protect myself.

You can live seperately and still have a good faith marriage. There are court cases that uphold a valid marriage despite living in different homes.

So I would not focus on you being charged with marriage fraud.

However, your spouse may be told at your interview about your report to ICE. She will need to be prepared in advance by you telling her the truth.

Judith

promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. You are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed in this public forum.

<p>Can I get in trouble because of the ICE report ? It sounded that I admitted that she didn't live with me and I lied on GC interview that she did. I told the officer "She never lived with me after marriage". I was told by an attorney that I can be liable for marriage fraud as well. Because it does look like I helped her in her lies and then confessed.</p>

As an attorney I could find many ways to defend against the remark and it's literal meaning.

If you are worried about explaining it yourself, you need to hire a lawyer who can.

Judith