Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

First of all I want to start by saying that I was brought here…

Customer Question
First of all I want...
First of all I want to start by saying that I was brought here when I was 8 years of age, now I am 23. I went to school from 3rd grade until I graduated high school in 2006, I could not continue college, because it was very expensive for me since my parents got divorced, followed by that my mom got diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and I had to take over our living needs,I support my mom and my sister. I have been working for two years at a coorporte office. I work as a receptionist,I do translations in inglish to spanish or portuguese to inglish. I also do e-commerce cordination as well as other tasks. I have been honored for been a very good employee and has been asked to apply directy through the company,since I work through a staffing agency, but I have denied myself since I know they will varify my status. I have not told them I am here illegaly, but I am willing to do so. I want to know if the owner or my manager can sponsor me with form I-140 ?If not,what else can I do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/17/2010
Immigration Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 8 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Did you overstay a visa or cross illegally?

i was brough here when I was 8 years of age illegaly, by my mom.
You have three options:MARRYMarrying a US citizen will get you a greencard. And yes, an employer can file an I-140 for you, but you'd still have to go back to your country of origin for processing.COLOR OF LAWThis argument for changing status to permanent residence for certain illegal aliens is normally only successful for someone who is married to a U.S. Citizen, or has citizen children, and has been here longer than 10 years. What they are doing is petitioning the court for permanent residence. The color of law is that they have been here for more than 10 years, and are crime free, but have been essentially living and working, paying taxes, and except for actually filing for permanent residence, are for all practical intents and purposes is a permanent resident. But the approval rate here is about 10% and you don't want the attention.NOTHINGYes, do nothing. The U.S. has passed laws to legalize illegal aliens 8 times since 1929. Another strong draft is being bumped around and is expected by AILA to be revived sometime between now and next year has provisions for illegal aliens to gain at least temporary protected status. Attorneys now advise clients to simply wait, the strategy being that, since being an illegal alien is not a criminal act; that the worst that would happen under current law, is that they might get discovered and deported; however they have opportunities and options for relief from deportation proceedings than they have to change status to another legal visa type. If a client has no options for changing status to a visa type, then they are advised to apply for voluntary departure; after hearing the cost, we let them know the alternative is to wait until the new law, but that they run the risk of discovery and deportation. We then inform them that if that were to happen, they would still have to ask for voluntary departure. They usually opt out to wait. (Because of the expense). CAUTION: Some states and municipalities are passing local laws, criminalizing, not being an illegal alien, but aiding and abetting illegal aliens, or not having proper documents. New Mexico is the most recent. This is changing how we advise clients depending on where they live.Those are the options available to you at the moment, I am afraid.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”