Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have a question.

Customer Question
I have a question.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
6/16/2010
Immigration Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 8 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

What is your question?

Hello.

I have an online friend who would like to settle in the United States? What are his options of coming here?

Does he have family in the US? What is his education level? Age?
He has family in the US, but they are unwilling to help him. I know he has minimal education and he is ... 32, i believe
In that case, family sponsorship and work sponsorship are very much out of the question, I am afraid. Therefore, he only has student visa available to him. If he get into an accredited university in the US, he can petition for a F1 or J1 visa, and study here. At the end of the program, he can try to get a jib that would give him permanent placement.Another way is to marry someone in the USA, or fiance with them and get a K1 fiance visa.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Are there any other options... in regards XXXXX XXXXX?
Not really, sorry. It's not that easy to immigrate to USA. Sponsorship WOULD BE under family or employment or a fiance/spouse. Since none apply, then it's not possible.

Okay is there any thing I can do as a friend? I am involved in a small business- maybe I could hire him here to get into the country...
Not really, I'm afraid, b/c you'd have to show very specific need for someone from Pakistan and why you couldn't hire someone here. With a minimal education, they won't accept the application, I am afraid.

IS there a way to invite him on a visit first then to process /apply for immigration here ?

He can always apply for a B2 (visitor visa) but what would he file to stay...? If he can get married, perhaps. But applying for a B2 temporary visa with DUAL INTENT to remain indefinitely is illegal, FYI.

How do you apply for a visitor visa?

Also, we would like to start a small business importing products from Pakistan. Can he immigrate as my business partner?

Then possibly - take a look here:http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1273.htmlSee here for tourist visa:http://islamabad.usembassy.gov/pakistan/niv_business_visas.html

Please see above - I think I answered that as well...

I will take a look at the websites.

Okay.
Okay, so as an individual that has no relational ties, I cant do anything... as far as inviting him here?
Correct, sorry.