Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am a US citizen currently resident and working in Ireland. My wife is a Citizen of Irel…

Customer Question
I am a US citizen...
I am a US citizen currently resident and working in Ireland. My wife is a Citizen of Ireland. I have accepted an offer for an international one transfer within my company to the US. What's the best path to pursue to bring my wife over permanently to the US?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/15/2010
Immigration Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 8 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

It's quite easy, and you really only have ONE path. You file the following documents with USCIS. Processing time is about six months, but can take up to a year a a half, so you'd have to be patient.

*I-130 Petition For Alien Relative

This petition lets USCIS know of your marriage to the alien. Link:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=c67c7f9ded54d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD

You will also have to file supporting documents as well.
USCIS will process the application and send it to the US Consulate in Ireland which will request an interview. Assuming everything goes okay, a greencard will then be issued as a visa. Below is a SAMPLE list of what will be needed to file for the petition

I-130
Petitioner
___Copy of Birth Certificate / Copy of Naturalization Certificate / Copy of Passport
___Copy of Marriage Certificate
___Photo of Petitioner
___G-325A

Alien
___Photo of Alien with Name and Alien Number on Back
___G-325A

Additional Proof (as much of the following items as possible):
___Documentation showing joint ownership of property
___Lease
___Comingling of financial resources
___Affidavits by third parties (name, DOB, adrs, and relationship to husband/wife

___Affidavit of Support (Form I-864)
___ A photocopy or an Internal Revenue Service-issued transcript of a photocopy or an Internal Revenue Service-issued transcript of your complete Federal income tax return for your most recent tax year, including W-2s.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Is there an option to bring my wife over to the US on a K-3 visa and process the green card in the US in order to reduce the separation time? What does that process entail?
Yes, there is, but it's a little more paperwork and more expensive. You file for a K1 fiance visa now...http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_2994.html...then bring her over with you once it's approved and marry her in 90 days, and then file the I-130 and an extra petition called the I-485. But she can stay in the US while it's processing. :)

Relist: Expert wasn't paying attention to my question. I'm already married and he's recommending to file a fiance visa petition (K-1)..
Expert wasn't paying attention to my question. I'm already married and he's recommending to file a fiance visa petition (K-1).