Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My husband came on a k-1 visa (fiance visa) and we have gotten…

Customer Question
My husband came on a...
My husband came on a k-1 visa (fiance visa) and we have gotten married here legally. I am not employed now and my father, who was my co-sponsor, passed away recently. We need to file for his adjustment of status soon, but there is an issue with the sponsorship. He has cousins in the east coast who is willing to sign the sponsorship form. Is it ok for them to sponsor us since we are in California and they are in Maryland?
Does the sponsor need to hold a green card or is it alright for them to hold a H-1 visa?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
6/15/2010
Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

My condolences on the passing of your father.

The sponsor has to have either US citizenship or permanent resident status.

The sponsor can live anywhere in the US.

Judith

The information provided is general in nature and should not be construed as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship. The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice. By accepting you agree you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims,

promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. You are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed in this public forum.

If I answered your question and you agree with the above, please click ACCEPT & leave positive feedback.