Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Follow up for Eli. In this case of the Canadian who bore a…

Customer Question
Follow up for Eli. In...
Follow up for Eli. In this case of the Canadian who bore a US born child during her two year marriage to a US natural citizen: Child in Georgia with father and his family. Mother left moved to Georgia because father had made repeated representations to Canadian mother/wife that he would keep his promise to work with an attorney to uptain mother/wife's legal status. After some time mother/wife became convinced that US husband was not going to work toward this goal. Further, arguments regarding her illegal status escalated and husband clearly stated his intentions to allow wife/mother to remain illegal and unable to work or drive or have anything other than a stay at home mom. Would this qualify under any exceptions to immigration position? would his behavior qualify as emotional abuse and false imprisonment?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
6/14/2010
Immigration Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 8 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hello again,I just sent you a thank you message for your last ACCEPT.What is the goal here - to get more money in divorce? To stay in the US? What are you trying to achieve? Let's start with that.
Thank u Eli. Goal is to obtain best custody and support agreement possible. Presently father/husband has given wife/mother a bare bones agreement giving him full custody. Throughout marriage he promised to help wife mother obtain legal status. Would it be correct to state that husband was keeping wife mother in the marriage by threating her with her status and thus keep her at home with baby unable to work or even get drivers license? This would be more of a negotiaton tool
"Presently father/husband has given wife/mother a bare bones agreement giving him full custody."This sentence is misleading - WHO has full custody?