Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have applied for US residency, as a UK national married to…

Customer Question
I have applied for US...
I have applied for US residency, as a UK national married to a US citizen. Approval has been granted, and is in process, but I don't know how long it will take.

I am in the US on a visitor's visa - this runs out in 10 days. How do I extend it?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/14/2010
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 8 years ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

What forms did you file? When did you file them?

Did you begin the process here in the U.S. of Adjustment of Status or did you do the K-3 spouse visa process or CR-1?

Also, did you enter the U.S. on a Visa Waiver?

Please try to answer all questions. Thank you.

Forms:
1-797C
1-797
I-864
I-130

PLUS SUPPORTING FINANCIAL INFORMATION

NOT ENTIRELY SURE WHAT YOU MEAN BY THE SECOND QUESTION- I MARRIED A US CITIZEN IN DECEMBER 2009 AND STARTED THE PROCESS SOON AFTERWARDS

YES, I ENTERED ON A VISA WAIVER.

MY APPLICATION IS APPROVED, BUT I DON'T KNOW WHEN IT WILL BW FINALISED. IN THE MEANTIME MY VISA WILL RUN OUT IN 10 DAYS
You filed the I-130 while you were here in the U.S.? What I am trying to find out is if you are doing Consular Processing or Adjustment of Status? Adjustment of Status you also need to file an I-485. Are you now receiving correspondence from the Department of State instead of Department of Homeland Security? You would have originally started by getting things from Homeland Security.
YES, I FILED THE I-130 WHEN I WAS ALREADY IN THE US.

RECEIVED CORRESPONDENCE FROM HOMELAND SECURITY FIRST, THEN DEPT OF STATE. IT LOOKS AS IF I NEED TO FILE A I-485, I HAVE NOT DONE SO YET.

That would have been the correct method. You file the I-130 and the I-485 together. If you are still in status, you MUST file the I-485 before your I-94 expires. There is no way to extend your I-94. That's the big problem with the Visa Waiver. So file the I-485 now and include a cover letter requesting that the file be merged with the I-130. You would include a copy of your I-130 receipt (or approval letter if you have it). If you cannot file before then, then you should leave the U.S. and then you would need to file an I-824 which can be found at http://www.uscis.gov/. Let me know if you have any follow-up questions. Thank you.

Also, please do not forget to click accept so that I can get credit for my assistance to you. You are not charged again and we can continue to communicate without additional charge if you have a few follow-up questions. Thank you!

Edited by Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. on 6/21/2010 at 5:20 PM EST