Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

If I am arrested in Canada and they take my US passport away,

Customer Question
does the US border control...
If I am arrested in Canada and they take my US passport away, does the US border control know?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
6/12/2010
Immigration Lawyer: Wilton A. Person, Immigration Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Wilton A. Person
Wilton A. Person, Immigration Lawyer
What agency or Canadian local authoritiy took away your passport?
Canada Border Control in Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada.
Canada's Border Patrol and the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol have an information sharing program so you can assume that US Customs and Border Patrol is aware or will be aware that Canada's Border Patrol has taken your US passport.
Is there a way to find out from the US without jeopardizing or alerting the Canadian border control? I mean a legal way for the US to answer me? thank you

I will opt out and allow the other immigration attorneys to answer your additional questions. You will not be charged for my responses.

I certainly appreciate your time and your help. But I do need to know if there is a way to find out if the US is aware of my situation because the Canadians tell me nothing....thank you

You are welcome.

Are you in Canada or in the US?

Can you provide me more details regarding your situation?

Did the Canadian authorities take your passport so that you would not be able to leave Canada and have to appear in court to face the charges stemming from the arrest?

You should be aware that you have a right to contact a U.S Consulate in Canada. You should not make any statements or sign any documents.

Based on the information that you have provided, you can contact the US Consulate in Halifax which is the closest US consulate to New Brunswick and they should be able to assist you. Here is the link:

http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/halifax.asp

Why can't you contact them for me ??

Unfortunately, I would not be able to contact them on your behalf because you are not my client and no attorney-client relationship has been formed. The purpose of this site is to provide general information only.

How do I become your client? If I do then you could contact the US and find out if I am welcome back into the Country and then I could go to Halifax and get a passport. I am afraid if I contact the US and they tell Canada, then I am really screwed, as the only reason they did not detain me in some remanded program is because I gave them my US passport.

This site does not allow me to represent or provide my contact information through its medium but I can provide you links to two US immigration attorney referral sites that may be able to assist you.

1) http://ailalawyer.com/ American Immigration Lawyer's Association-These are attorneys that generally concentrate in immigration law but you can expect to pay

a substantial retainer before any attorney would probably be willing to take on your matter.

2) http://www.justice.gov/eoir/probono/states.htm

These are referrals for low cost legal services that primarily assist with removal proceedings in the US but offer other services and may have other immigration attorneys that they could refer to you at a lower cost. These attorneys would probably assist you but may not be as responsive as a private attorney that you have paid a substantial retainer. It would probably be best to contact attorneys in states that border Canada as they would be most likely be more familiar with your specific situation.

Good luck.

Edited by Wilton A. Person on 6/13/2010 at 3:31 PM EST
Wilton A. Person
Wilton A. Person, Immigration Lawyer
thank you I will try those sites....

You are welcome.

One last question....sorry, but do you think I could telephone the US embassy in Halifax and ask them if there is a HOLD on my US passport or do I have to go in person? Thanks?
You can call Halifax and explain your situation and they should be able to advise you as to how should proceed. The US Consulates and US Embassies are available to assist U.S. citizens when they are arrested outside of the US.