Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

i have 3 brothers in seattle washington they have been there…

Customer Question
i have 3 brothers in...
i have 3 brothers in seattle washington they have been there for 11 and 12 years They have worked and have never broken the law Is there any way of getting them legal ?
They love it there but its getting very hard to live
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
6/11/2010
Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Did they enter the US legally or illegally?

What is your status?

Judith

they entered legally as far as i know

What is your status?

Are your parents here?

What is their status?

Judith

i live in ireland

our father is dead 18 years our mother is in ireland

They will not be able to adjust status in the US since they are out of status. The only way they could get legal status in the US is if they married a US citizen. That is one of three immediate relative relationships that allow for one to adjust when they have overstayed and/or worked unlawfully.

So their opportunity here in the US has only one option. Even if they won the lottery they would not be eligible to become legal here. They would have to go back home and apply for the immigrant visa and their departure after being out of status for more than one year would trigger a 10 year bar.

Judith

promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. You are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed in this public forum.

what does out of status mean? I thought that there was something that could be done if you were there over 10 years

Out of status means being in the US illegally.

No, there is no way to adjust status based on being here for any amount of time.

If they are picked up to be deported they can apply for cancellation of removal if the judge orders them removed.

Judith

in one of your answers you said "that is one of three immediate relative relationships" mean?

These three relationships can adjust status in the US if they are out of status:

1. spouse of us citizen

2. minor child of a us citizen

3. parent of an adult us citizen

Judith