Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have changed my first name on my american documents from…

Customer Question
I have changed my first...
I have changed my first name on my american documents from the first name I had in my exit visa from Lithuania. Now I am applying back for Lituanian citizenship.They need a proff that I am the same person. What forms do I have to fill and what do I have to do.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/10/2010
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 8 years ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello. I apologize for the delay. Unfortunately, we have experts here on US, UK, Canadian, Australian, New Zealand, Irish, and South African law. We do not have experts on Lithuanian law. So this is why no one has tried to answer your question.

I can tell you what I think the Lithuanian authorities should accept from you in order for you to prove you are the same person, but I cannot tell you for sure nor will you be able to get an expert here that can tell you for sure.

If you are ok with me telling you what U.S. documents you could use, then let me know and I will tell you. If not, you can always ask for a refund and no hard feelings.

i will try to enclose my correspondence with the Lithuanian Embassy.However I think that it can be done much easier.We are talking of the very small change ,which is from name Bella to Isabella

here is his responce

such cases, Migration Department under the Ministry of Lithuania usually recommends to submit the decision of the court, confirming the legal fact that „Bella Grayfer“ and „Isabella S. Grayfer“ is the same person. US court decisions should be submitted confirmed by the Apostille and with the translation into Lithuanian Language.

About US legal procedures you should consult a lawyer.

P.S. Migration Department basically needs the official document, stating that „Bella Grayfer“ changed her name to „Isabella S. Grayfer“ or is the same person.

Respectfully,

Ok, well let me ask, how was it that your name was changed? When you became a U.S. Citizen? Or was it on your marriage license?

When I became an american citizen I was given an option .
Ok. Because you do not have a court order, you will need to provide the Lithuanian authorities with a copy of your naturalization certificate that shows your new name. They will probably want an original, but those are expensive. If you can go in person to the Lithuanian embassy or consulate, this might be the best choice.
By appearing in person , what will it change ?-I still do not have the paper to let them know that I am the same person.Back to my original Question- how can I get this document or where should I go?

I am in Columbus Ohio.- Embacy is in Chicago. It is not exactly what we would call"to stop by" .If I have to fly there I need to be prepared,which means that have to have a leagal something do I?

so what is one more question?
Well, before you appear in person, you should contact consulate directly and make sure that you would be able to resolve this issue by appearing in person with your naturalization certificate. If the naturalization certificate will not work, ask them what will because there is no court order. If they say you absolutely need a court order then you will need to contact a family law attorney in your area that could file the proper motions in court to see if that can be done for you and how long it would take.