Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Good Morning, Me and my husband just got off the immigration…

Customer Question
Good Morning, Me and my...
Good Morning,

Me and my husband just got off the immigration interview ...Friends for years, and as the petitioner he confessed we had never been intimate yet he loved me . Some of the answer we gave were different. The officer asked him to sign a document some sort of statement stating we were "friends" , apparently he doesnt remember ... The officer says we will received an answer by mail ... What would be our next step ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
6/10/2010
Immigration Lawyer: Rebecca White, Immigration Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Rebecca White
Rebecca White, Immigration Lawyer
US Immigration law does not require consummation of a marriage for a marriage based petition to be granted, but given the situation you describe at the interview you will want to be prepared that they may intend to allege marriage fraud and not only deny the application, but potentially file charges in regards XXXXX XXXXX You will want to consult with an immigration attorney as soon as possible. It would be best if you could both go together, and write down before hand as much as you remember of the interview. You can wait to receive something in the mail, but you may be better off being proactive and submitting additional evidence of the good faith nature of your marriage before a potential denial is issued.