Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Hi..my name is elizabeth.. I came to the us.in 2000 Im originaly…

Customer Question
Hi..my name is XXXXX XXXXX...
Hi..my name is XXXXX XXXXX came to the us.in 2000 Im originaly from mexico and I just became a american citizen.. I live here by my self.. I would love to have my mom with me..she is never here before she already tried to get a visa in mexico more then 3 times and it is been denied... I w'd like to help my mom to get at list a tourist visa or if I can get something better thatn that for her it will be more that great.. the biggest problem about this is that,,, my mom appears in my birth certificate that she is my sister.. I do have her own last names... and we both are daughters of the same mother.. ritgh here is the mistake of my grandmother.. she took me away of my real mom when I was born cuz she was a single mother. so now when I did all the process with imigration with the birth certificate that I have.. so now, I do not know what to do to help her to come to visit to me... please somebody can help me what to do.. or like a I said before @ list a tourist visa for her please...
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
6/9/2010
Immigration Lawyer: Wilton A. Person, Immigration Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Wilton A. Person
Wilton A. Person, Immigration Lawyer

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

To clarify, who is listed as your mother on your birth certificate?

Does your birth certificate list your mother as your sister?

Was your birth certificate issued by a official government agency, hospital, church, etc?

Are there other people that are aware of your grandmother's action?

Is your grandmother still alive?

Is your father listed on your birth certificate?

yea my grandmother is my mom in my birth certificate, and my grand father appears like my father... they died long time ago.. my gramma in 1990 and grandfa.. Im not really sure but that happend long time ago as well... and no in the birth certificate my real mom is not list as a sister, but and her birth certificete we both have the same mother and father... my birth certificate is by the state only, in mexico parents have to go to register the kids to the city hall... and I do not have a father I mean I never met him.. so thats why, when my mom got preagneat of me,, my grandmother did't liked she was extremely extricted... I grow up with her untill she die.. I was 12 years old when that happend... few months later I moved with my real mom.. utill I was 21 I decide to come to america.........

As a U.S. citizen, you are eligible to petition for your mother to obtain an immigrant visa and considering that she has been denied three times for a visitor visa, it does not really seem practical to continue to spend the time and money applying for a visitor visa when you have the right to petition for your mother to immigrate to the US and live with you on a permanent basis.

Based on the facts provided, it is possible to prove that your mother is your real mother despite the incorrect birth certificate. First, you and your mother would need to have DNA tests and you would probably need your mother and anyone else who was aware of your grandmother's action to sign sworn affidavits regarding the incident.

Your case will be more complicated than the normal I-130, Alien Petition for a Relative, and you would be best served by hiring an immigration attorney to properly present your case but it is certainly possible to establish your true relationship with your mother as your parent with a DNA test.

The I-130 is found at the uscis website at uscis.gov under forms and the entire process will probably take close to a year because immigrant visas are generally backlogged at Cuidad Juarez.

ok. I had the same idea about the DNA test.. so that means I have to go to mexico to get those tests first, and then I will hire a lawyer and lets see, I think if I alredy wait so many years.. it is worth it have to wait one more year... sounds good to me... thank you very very much for all your help.. I really appreciated your time and your answers

Atte: Elizabeth

You are welcome. As for the tests, the tests need to be administered in a specific manner during the I-130 process by an agency that is certified by USCIS so it would probably be best to meet with the immigration attorney first because if the procedures and/or timing are not correct, you will have to redo the tests and it will cost you additional money.