Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My wife and I adopted a baby in Mexico (we are both US citizens…

Customer Question
My wife and I adopted...
My wife and I adopted a baby in Mexico (we are both US citizens and my wife has dual citizenship in Mexico) but we were not able to do an inter-country adoption because we adopted the baby from her parents and not from a orphanage. The adoption is final, I have the court decree, the adoption certificate, and her Mexican passport. What should I do to get my adopted baby into the US as soon as possible? (what visa or parole should I ask for?) I would like to spend the two year waiting period for a family visa here in the US and not in Mexico.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
6/9/2010
Immigration Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 8 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Was the adoption done in US or Mexico? Where is the baby now?

The adoption was done in Mexico and the baby is in Mexico.
Okay, in this case what you have to do is to file an I-130 with USCIS and all the accompanying documents. Since the child counts as your child, the I-130 is meant to bring families together. The processing time is about one year at the most. See here for a step by step:http://www.hooyou.com/adoption/prodedures.html

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

I'm familiar with this process but it requires I wait another year and and a half in Mexico to fulfill the two year requirement and then another year for the visa to be processed. I'm looking for information on a temporary visa, permit, or parole that does not necesarly give citizenship or permanet recidency to be baby, but allows us to just bring the baby into the US and wait the two and a half years here in the US.

I am sorry, but that is no possible. There exists no path to bring an adopted baby to the US before/while the I-130 is pending, and a visitor visa will not be issued to the child b/c of "dual intent" and b/c of the child's age. I am sorry.