How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109307
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What reasons can a 10 year green card be revoked other than

Resolved Question:

What reasons can a 10 year green card be revoked other than a sham marriage and how do you go about having it revoked? If the spouse finds out after someone has had there green card for 2 years that it was a sham marriage can the card be revoked? Will the wife face charges also? If your green card is revoked and you status prior to that was illegal will you be deported? If you filed an affidavit of support for someone and the withdraw it after they have had there green card for 23 months what happens to that person?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 7 years ago.

These are the main reasons that a green card status can be lost:


1) Sham marriage - must be proof that the only reason for the marriage was a green card. It can be ONE of the reasons, it just can't be the ONLY reason.


2) The Resident commits some crime that makes them deportable.


3) It is proven that the Resident committed some fraud in order to obtain the Residency.


4) It is discovered that the Resident could not have obtained the benefit because of some issue in their background such as having committed a crime in the past that was not disclosed (this is similar to #3), or that the Resident obtained the Residency through marriage to a U.S. Citizen but it turns out that they were married before and that original marriage was not terminated properly and this they would not legally marry the U.S. Citizen.


5) Abandonment of the status because they are outside of the U.S. for too long (180 days or more within a year).


And unfortunately, you are not allowed to withdraw your Affidavit of Support once the status has been granted.

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you