How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109283
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what does question #33 from form N-400 mean Are you a male

This answer was rated:

what does question #33 from form N-400 mean?

Are you a male who lived in the United States at any time between your 18th and 26th birthdays in any status except as a lawful nonimmigrant?
If you were a male living in the U.S. between the ages of 18 and 26, you were required to register with the Selective Service, even if you were not legally in the U.S.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
my husband came to the states when he was 22 and he did register with the selective service...i just don't understand wether to put yes or no for the answer....he has always been here legally....he came over on a fiance visa, we were married, and now he has his green card (permanent residency)....

i don't get if he lived here at a time "in any status except as a lawful nonimmigrant"

would the answer be yes because his other status has been as a permanent resident?

or no because he has always been a lawful nonimmigrant?

it's the status thing and the lawful immigrant vs. lawful nonimmigrant that is throwing us!

Then he has to put YES.


Since he registered, he would go to the following link:


And pull up his date of registration and registration number.


By the way, lawful non-immigrant would be if he was on a tourist visa legally (not if he overstayed it), and H1B visa, an F1 student visa, etc. Don't let it confuse you. He registered, so put yes and go to that website.

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. and 2 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you