How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask BizMatters Your Own Question
BizMatters, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 1132
Experience:  JD -NYS Bar
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
BizMatters is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

As an illegal immigrant Can I get a Florida ID

Customer Question

Hi I am 21 years old. I have been in this country for 7 yrs I lived in Florida and I don't have any kind of ID except for those I got when I was in High school? As an illegal immigrant can I get any kind of Florida ID? If so what would I need to get it..
Have a bless day
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  BizMatters replied 8 years ago.

Dear Jmed,


Thank you for your question.


According to new Florida laws passed in 2008, you have to show legal presence in the U.S in order to obatin a driver's license or Identification card from the state.


Effective October 1, 2008, there are several changes as to the acceptable documentation that customers must present to obtain an original driver license or identification card in Florida.

Customers must present proof of social security number, if issued (for example, social security card or any of the following documents showing your social security number: tax return, W-2 form, pay check, DD-214, school record)
All passports, permanent resident cards and employment authorization cards presented as proof of identification or legal presence must be valid. Expired documents will not be accepted.
The department will no longer accept driver licenses or identification cards issued by other states as primary identification. Out-of-state licenses will be used as a secondary form of documentation to reciprocate driving privileges

Related Immigration Law Questions