Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

I would like to know what my citizenship status is and whom

Hi, . I would...
Hi, . I would like to know what my citizenship status is and whom can I contact to verify this information. I have since spoken with Immigration Services and received different answers. My parents were naturalized in 1997, just before I turned 18. Am I legally a US citizen? I have received different answers from different representatives from US Immigration Office. Will I still need to file for certificate of citizenship, or will I need to go through the entire naturalization process? Thanks.
11/6/2008
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer

If it can be determined that you acquired U.S. Citizenship when your parents naturalized, then you will need a certificate of citizenship. If not, then you will need to go through the entire process.

Here is a link that you can take a look at with Citizenship Charts.

http://www.dcfpd.org/library/naturalization%20chart.pdf

Look on the 2nd page at the bottom since your parents naturalized between 1952 and 2001. You acquired citizenship if you were under 18 when they met all the requirements listed there. If even one wasn't filled, then you did not become a citizen back then and you will most likely have to do the process on your own.

Hi, Mr. Senmartin - Thank you for your email response. I apologize for the late reply as I was obtaining information from other sources at the time. I am willing to accept your answer and pay the asking price of $15 dollars; however I would like for you to just clarify what you meant by the following: "If even one wasn't filled, then you did not become a citizen....." What exactly did you by "if even one"? Did you mean my parent's certificate of citizenship or mine? Just to inform you, I have not filed for certificate of citizenshiip. Your answer is pretty much similar from all other information I have received, which is also available via the US INS website (as I stated in my original question, I have already spoken with several different service representatives, but the answers were not definitive). I was told that I had to be under the age of 18 at the time; what if I am currently over the age of 18 now - does your answer still apply? My parents met the requirments then... so will I just need to file for certificate of citizenship? Thanks again for your time. I understand that the service you provide is worth more elsewhere via personal consulting, and I appreciate your assistance.
This means that you have to meet all the conditions that are required. So if your parents (and you) met all the requirements back then, then you became a citizen back then and you just need a certificate, or may be able to just apply for a U.S. Passport by submitting the appropriate evidence.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Hi, Mr. Senmartin - Thank you again for the reply. As I have promised, I will accept your response and pay the 15$. I am making this payment shortly after I send this reply.   Just one more thing however; to clarify, I received conflicting answers from different sources. I was told I had to be under 18 yrs. old on or after February 2001, when the policy took effect. Is this true? Otherwise, if what you said is correct, as long as I was under 18 when my parents met the requirements and were naturalized in 1986, then I am a citizen then and just need to fill out a certificate of citizenship. Again, Thank you very much.
What they are talking about with the February 2001 date is to qualify for the Child Citizenship Act. But you do not have to qualify for that. Again, refer to the chart that I send you a link to. You would qualify under the law back then.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.