EMJ1219
EMJ1219, Immigration Specialist, GPHR
Experience:  Military service and duties included manageing expat assignments for 20 years; GPHR certi 2006
586644

CAN I BECOME A US CITIZEN WITH AN OTH DISCHARGE FROM THE US ...

CAN I BECOME A US CITIZEN WITH AN OTH DISCHARGE FROM THE US NAVY? THIS HAPPENED IN 1988 AFTER 2.5 YEARS OF SERVICE.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  EMJ1219 replied 9 years ago.

DearCustomer

An other than honorable discharge if received before 5 years of service may and most likley will prevent you from getting citizenship.

82.) See supra note 54. 8 U.S.C. [section] 1439(f) now provides for revocation of citizenship based on the issuance of an other than honorable discharge if issued before the service member completes five years of honorable service and mirrors 8 U.S.C. [section] 1440 in this regard. Army Regulation 635-200 was written before the statutory addition of (f) and the practitioner should expect the regulation to be updated to require notice to the BCIS of other than honorable discharges issued to soldiers naturalized under 8 U.S.C. [section] 1439 and [section] 1440. 8 U.S.C. [subsection] 1439-1440 (2000); see AR 635-200, supra note 37.