How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109612
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I have a dishonorable discharge from the military ...

Resolved Question:

If I have a dishonorable discharge from the military can I still become a U.S. citizen
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 9 years ago.
As long as you meet the other requirements, you should be able to apply. Remember that you have to have 5 years of Lawful Permanent Residency (3 years of Lawful Permanent Residency if married to a U.S. Spouse for those 3 years) because you may not be able to use your military service to get around that. Also keep in mind that another requirement for U.S. Citizenship is good moral character. If the dishonorable discharge was the result of a criminal conviction, this may cause you some problems. If there was no criminal conviction, it may still cause you a problem if you apply for U.S. Citizenship within 5 years of the discharge. Even after 5 years have passed, they will still want information about it and you will have to have evidence like good character reference letters from co-workers, friends, family, employers, etc. in order to prove that you do have good moral character.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you