How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask justaskjenn Your Own Question
justaskjenn, Attorney at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 1349
Experience:  Over 8 years of legal experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
justaskjenn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to invite a friend from Jamaica to visit. I

Customer Reply

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I would like to invite a friend from Jamaica to visit. I know that he would need a letter of invitation from me so that he can apply for a visitor visa. What all do I need to send besides the letter? I would like to make that everything is that is needed of me to be included with the letter.
Expert:  justaskjenn replied 9 years ago.


The United States requires that most individuals from around the world apply for and obtain a visa at a US Embassy in their home country prior to entry. If an individual comes to the United States without the required travel documentation, then s/he may be immediately placed in secondary inspection where s/he will be interrogated for anywhere from one to several hours. The US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (US ICE) Officer is there to determine the purpose of travel and, in some instances, whether the entrant has a credible fear of returning to his or her country of departure/origin.

Most individuals, however, will have a valid travel document or visa. A visa is obtained by making a written application, usually by submitting Form DS 156, Application for Non-Immigrant Visa, at the local US Embassy in the country of origin. The most commonly requested visa is the B-1/B-2 Tourist Visa. This visa will allow the recipient to travel to the US for up to six (6) months at a time, if the stated purpose of travel is for pleasure, or up to one (1) month at a time, if the stated purpose of travel is for business. Obtaining this visa may be easy for some and difficult for others. Usually, the consular officer will try to determine whether the applicant will likely abuse the visa and overstay or if the individual will return to his or her country of origin in a timely manner. The consular officer may determine these outcomes by using his discretion and by requesting information from the applicant such as documentation that they are returning to a home or house they own, a job, or to reunite with other close family members. Thus, it is important for the applicant to understand that s/he must convince the officer that they will most likely return to the country or origin and also that s/he will not work while in the United States. The consular officer may request documentation about the applicant's finances, such as a bank statement or tax returns to determine the self sufficiency of the applicant.

A formal letter of invitation from a family member, friend, or sponsoring organization may sometimes help with getting a tourist visa. This process not only includes a letter, but also financial documentation to show that the host will provide room and board or financial support for the payment of medical bills if the need arises while the visa applicant is traveling in the US.

I hope this helps. If this has helped, please accept so that I may continue to help others as well.


Customer: replied 9 years ago.
are you saying that all I need to send is a letter of invitation and a bank stub showing that I am capable of supporting this person is all I need to send. I do not want to not send the proper documentation? So be clear.
Expert:  justaskjenn replied 9 years ago.

Yes, you just need in your letter to invite your friend to come visit with you. Tell your friend in the letter that he will be staying with you during this visit. Also explain in the letter that you will make sure he is taken care of during his trip to the US.

You can send a bank stub to show that you will financially be able to look after him; however, make sure when you send it that there is no revealing private information left exposed.

Explaining in the letter all that I have stated above usually is enough; however, if you want to be on the safe side and make sure thathe is given the visa, a bank stub will help in showing that you can take care of him while here.



Don't forget to accept so that I may be compensated for my time.

Expert:  justaskjenn replied 9 years ago.
Did you need help with something else?