Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

How do I get a copy of my immigration papers.I have lost mine.

Customer Question
I have lost nateralization papers...
I have lost nateralization papers. Ibecame a citizen in 1967.I have no proof I`m a citizen of usa.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
1/9/2008
Immigration Lawyer: LEV, Answer Team replied 9 years ago
LEV
LEV, Answer Team

Sec. 343a.1 Application for replacement of or new papers relating to naturalization, citizenship, or repatriation.
(a) Lost, mutilated, or destroyed naturalization papers. A person whose declaration of intention, certificate of naturalization, citizenship, or repatriation, or whose certified copy of proceedings under the act of June 25, 1936, as amended, or under section 317(b) of the Nationality Act of 1940, or under section 324(c) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, or under the provisions of any private law, has been lost, mutilated, or destroyed, shall apply on Form N - 565 for a new paper in lieu thereof.
(b) New certificate in changed name. A naturalized citizen whose name has been changed after naturalization by order of court or by marriage shall apply on Form N - 565 for a new certificate of naturalization, or of citizenship, in the changed name.
(c) Disposition. The applicant shall only be required to appear in person before an officer for interview under oath or affirmation in specific cases. Those cases which necessitate an interview enabling an officer to properly adjudicate the application at the office having jurisdiction will be determined by a supervising officer. If an application for a new certificate of naturalization, citizenship, or repatriation or a new declaration of intention is approved, the new certificate or declaration shall be issu ed and delivered by personal service in accordance with Sec. 103.5a(a)(2) of this chapter. If an application for a new certified copy of the proceedings under the Act of June 25, 1936, as amended, or under section 317(b) of the Nationality Act of 1940, or under section 324(c) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, or under the provisions of any private law is approved, a certified positive photocopy of the record of the proceedings filed with the Service shall be issued. If, subsequent to naturalization or repatriation, the applicant's name was changed by marriage, the certification of the positive photocopy shall show both the name in which the proceedings were conducted and the changed name. The new certified copy shall be personally delivered to the applicant upon his or he r signed receipt therefor. If the application is denied, the applicant shall be notified of the reasons therefor and of the right to appeal in accordance with the provisions of Part 103 of this chapter.

You should file Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document with USCIC - form N-565 - http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/N-565.pdf Fee is $380

Instructions - http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/N-565instr.pdf

LEV
LEV, Answer Team
LEV
LEV
LEV, Answer Team