Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2014 Hyundai Accent and if there is water on the…

I have a 2014...

I have a 2014 Hyundai Accent and if there is water on the road while it is rainning and i slow down it wont idle. Other times is runs great

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the rough idling consistent? Anything sound different?

Nope just when its raining

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the approximate mileage on your 2014 Accent?

85,000

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Hyundai Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Nope the car runs great

10/25/2021
Hyundai Mechanic: Pete, Auto Technician replied 1 year ago
Pete, Auto Technician

Welcome to JustAnswer. Thank you for contacting us for assistance with your vehicle. I'm Pete. I will be happy to assist you with your question. May I ask to whom I have the pleasure of speaking with today?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Roy Barham

Hello Roy. Nice to hear from you today! I'm sorry to hear you are having this problem. I know this can be frustrating.

Have any warning lights come on with this issue at all?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The check engine light is on but it was before thatIts a po420 code I think

Have you had the fault codes re checked since this issue started to occur with your Hyundai just to see if any new codes have come up with this issue?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nope i checked it after it happened

Thank you for your reply and that information as this does help me better understand the situation. Please give me one moment to type out some info for you. I’ll be right back!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OkI bought the scan tool after it started to see if I could fix it

Thank you for holding Roy!

The fault code P0420 can indicate that the catalytic converter has an internal fault to where it is not operating efficiently and has to be replaced. This should not create any issues with the running problems you are experiencing now. Based on the information provided on what is occuring with your vehicle this fault can be caused by carbon build up in the throttle body needing to be cleaned out or an issue with water entering the engine air filter. I recommend to check the engine air filter when this issue occurs with the engine off to see if it is wet or damp at all. If found to be wet or damp at all then I recommend to check the air intake into the air filter box to see if there are any issues to where water is being allowed into the air filter. If an issue is found it will need to be repaired. If no issues are found then I recommend with the engine off to spray down a rag with carburetor cleaner and use it to wipe out the throttle body bore making sure that the bore plate is also wiped down to remove carbon from it. The carbon build up creates an air flow issue at idle or slow speeds and when it is humid or wet outside this carbon can become sticky creating this fault. A shop will usually charge around $100 to check and clean it for you if needed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok so you think thats the problemI will try that tomorrow

Carbon build up in the throttle body is a very common cause for this type of fault and it tends to act up more when it is wet outside.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanksIf that dont work I can text you back in a couple days right

You are most welcome Roy! You can always reply back here if anything else is needed.

Glad I could be of some help today! I hope everything works out well for you! If there are any additional questions on this issue that should arise, please feel free to reply and ask!

Have a great day!

Thank you for choosing Just Answer for your questions!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks

You are very welcome!

Pete, Auto Technician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Pete I have A question I clean the throttle body and went for a for about a hour drive and stopped at the McDonald's drive thru and the pay window it ideaed but at the pickup window it cut off just cut off that one time do I need to check something else

Hello again!

Was the idle fluctuating or dropping before it cut off or did it just cut off on you?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It just cut offIt ideals low now

O.k. that sounds like a separate issue. Something like that can be caused by a crankshaft sensor failure. Unfortunately, due to the website Terms of Service, I am not allowed to answer a different question/vehicle/problem on the same thread. Only "follow-up" questions pertaining to the original question, are allowed to continue on the same thread. If you have a different question, you are required to start a new thread. (Sorry, JustAnswer rules!). It's a bit slow right now, so post your new question and if I can grab it, I will most certainly assist you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok why did i.pay 34 dollars for a month to talk. Is there something I dont understand

Due to the sudden stall out concern being separate from the idle concern JustAnswer's terms of service only allow me to work with you on the idle issue here. The stall out concern has to be opened up as a new question. You can contac customer care using the link below if you would like to discuss any account related questions.

https://www.justanswer.com/help/