Greg
Greg, import technician
Experience:  27 year and 16 year as shop owner, import technician
29331485

Every time we open the door the alarm goes off. We changed

Every time we open the door the alarm goes off. We changed the battery on both key FOBs and now one of them only has two buttons that work, the finder button and the trunk button. the lock button makes a beep from the alarm system but doesnt lock and the unlock button does nothing.
JA: Have you changed a battery before?
Customer: on the FOB or the car
JA: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?
Customer: 2015 Hyundai Elantra SE
JA: Are you fixing your Elantra SE yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Originally, we had one FOB that worked perfectly and one that didnt work at all. my husband changed the battery on the dead FOB and then it didnt work at all even though the batteries were oriented the same in both FOBs. He spoke to someone at an ACE hardware who said they could reprogram it. he changed the batteries in the perfectly fine FOB this afternoon and we went to ACE, as soon as the guy opened the driver door the alarm started going off. it wouldnt stop until we turned the car over. he tried to work on reprogramming but couldnt get any power from the OBD2 port (not uncommon in our car. we had the issue once before but it rectified itself) we then left because the guy didnt know which fuse was connected to the OBD2 to see if it was blown. told us to try replacing it and then coming back. we went to do some errands and both times we opened the door the alarm would go off and wouldnt stop until turning the car over we tried taking the batteries out of both fobs and openingin the door and the alarm still goes off
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing comes to mind

Hi, I'm Greg (Indy-Tech).
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.
Rgds Greg.

Sorry to hear you are having a problem with your Hyundai alarm system. , i will do my best to assist you with this issue .

A live phone call will be offered by JA not me, this is an option we can use but i would rather like to continue with text for the time being, if that's okay with you.

Do you have your Vin number handy for me so i can look up your vehicle.

And who do i have the pleasure of chatting to .

Rgds Greg.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My name is Krista. The VIN is 5NPDH4AE4FH583227
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
So a little update: my husband found this weird button under the dash, pushed it, and now the door doesn't set off the alarm when you open it. I can send photos of the wire splicing that's under the dash but we aren't sure if that's done from factory or if there was something done aftermarket. We do know the dealer we got the car from had to rip out the dash to fix an air conditioner something or other before we bought it

Hi Krista nice to meet you .

Just give me a litle time to check your vin number out and see if there are any relevant issue in the TSB's

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is a fuse blown, for memory the fuse diagram says

under hood fuse or dash

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Dash

okay let me check this out also for you .

Greg

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This seems to have rectified both the OBD2 and the clock not working

Okay this is the dash instrument cluster, this will be the problem ,change the fuse or have you tried this .

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We swapped the fuse. Everything seems to be back in working order except the key fobs. Which would make sense I guess if it's a memory fuse

Key fobs will have to be reprogrammed after fuse is replaced ,each time you switch of the engine you will lose coding .

sadly with hyundai you can only program the fobs with a scan tool .

also why no communication when trying to program them last time .

If you need further assistance with this issue then please get back to me .

If any part of my response is confusing or needing more detail, please reply and let me know.

I am not done until you are happy.

kindest regards Greg

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay! Thank you for your assistance! (:

Now you have the fuse replaced try and program the fobs.

If still having a problem then please get back to me .

Kindest regards Greg

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can do!

Sounds Good thank you .

Greg