Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2011 sonata with 157,000 miles. 4 weeks ago the…

Customer Question
I have a 2011 sonata...
I have a 2011 sonata with 157,000 miles. 4 weeks ago the check engine light came on. We had it checked and the code said oxygen sensor. We changed that along with new gas cap. Came back on today.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Hyundai
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/31/2018
Hyundai Mechanic: Gene, Auto Service Technician replied 3 months ago
Gene
Gene, Auto Service Technician

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Thank you

Hello, is the same codes stored? What was the actual code number(s)? Is the vehicle running ok, just the check engine light is on?

Car runs fine. Same codes.
Oxygen sensor bank 1 sensor 2

You said an oxygen sensor code, what is the code number. P0420? You changed the upstream oxygen sensor before the catalytic convertor?

Sensor 2 is the catalytic convertor monitor sensor, not the oxygen sensor, they look the same but do a different function. If it was a P0420 code the convertor is bad. If you changed the oxygen sensor you changed the wrong sensor.

Poo32 bank 1 sensor 2

Ok did you change the wrong sensor?

The code said oxygen sensor p0032 bank 1 sensor 2
They changed oxygen sensor

Ok, thats is incorrect, the code is bank 1 sensor 1 which is the oxygen sensor. If it is setting the same code it may be due to using an aftermarket sensor. Who changed the sensor and was it a dealer part or aftermarket?

I'm so sorry. It is bank 1 sensor 1.

Yes its confusing when you get the wrong information. Who did the repair. Did they use a dealer sensor?

That code has nothing to do with the gas cap

Hyundai dealer did it
I needed a new cap because it no longer clicked when closing

Ok, if they did the repair and it has the same code then they need to recheck their work, if the sensor isnt plugged in all the way it can set the code. Otherwise there may be an issue with the wiring from the sensor to the engine control module or the module itself.

Wouldn't they have looked at that at the time? Is there a way to check if it's bad

Its possible it is a defective part. All you can do is make sure it is plugged in. A scan tool looking at t he live sensor would need to be used to see if it is flagging a hard fault. Wiggle the wire harness to see if the fault flickers on and off. Then run through a test of the wiring from the ecu to the sensor. The dealer may have run a shortcut and just put a new part on, cleared the codes and sent it out.

That's what in afraid of. What are the symptoms if it's bad. Car runs great

A heater circuit fault doesnt affect much other than the warning lamp and maybe a very minute fuel economy loss, it only fires up on cold start to help warm up the sensor to operate.

If the dealer diagnosed it, its a comeback on them and they should fix it no charge.

Will it harm it to drive it until I can take it back

Nope, that will be fine, just turn the light on, you can drive it like that as long as thats the only code.

What does bank 1 sensor 1 mean
What do you mean just turn the light on
The code means there is a problem with the heater for the oxygen sensor. It will turn the check engine light on. Bring it back to the dealer and explain it's got the same problem

If you need more help or information please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.