Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Just dropped oil pan and replaced gasket. After adding 6…

Customer Question
Hi. Just dropped oil...

Hi. Just dropped oil pan and replaced gasket. After adding 6 qts, dipstick still shows at low level line.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this your first time dealing with this issue? What size is your engine?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?

3.3 ltr

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Hyundai?

2009

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just did it at local pepboys

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nothing I can think of

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Hyundai
3/31/2018
Hyundai Mechanic: Gary, Technician replied 4 months ago
Gary
Gary, Technician

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

how much more to add to make it full 1/2 quart to 3/4 ?

how much more oil will make the oil level full ?

LeveNo idea I left the pepboys. Was afraid to add beyond the 6 ltrs I just put in. Level was full despite the very minor leak that caused me to replace the pan gasket.
Level was dull before this visit to the pepboys
Full

the odds are they did NOT top off the oil after they finished the job

with a pan coming off it usually take a little bit oil more to make it full as the usual oil change is that amount but with the pan off it usually will take a bit more to make it full

have them or you top it off

once topped off the car should be fine

you can always get me back through here even after you rate me

please do not forget to rate me here at Justanswer

I saw them pour in 6 qts
Mfg specs say 5.5

yes but when a pan is dropped it will take more oil

as the 6 is with just pulling the drain plug to drain the pan itself will hold a bit more

adding 1/2 to 1 quart more after a pan change is normal

have them top it off or you can top it off

if you see no external oil leaks it is a simple as that

the shop should have made sure the engine oil was full when it left they left it down and i would either top it off or bring it back to them and ask them to top it off full