Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Hundai Sonata - steering wheel is locked, key won't turn and…

Customer Question
Hundai Sonata - steering...

Hundai Sonata - steering wheel is locked, key won't turn and wheels are pressed into curb.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you applied constant pressure to the steering wheel while turning the key in the ignition?

What do you mean by constant pressure?

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Sonata?

2013 or 14

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have just tried to wiggle the steering wheel but it won't move.

Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Hyundai
3/31/2018
Hyundai Mechanic: Canuck Tech, Automotive Service Technician replied 19 days ago
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Automotive Service Technician

Hi there - what has happened is that the wheels against the curb have applied pressure to the locking mechanism. You are going to need to apply some serious pressure to the wheel to get it to move enough so the key will turn... There isn't really any way around this - if you call a tow truck, or a mobile service, this probably is all they will do

So, grab the wheel with your left, and pull it hard in one direction. If it doesn't move, try the other direction. The system is tough - you won't rip the wheel off...

A wiggle isn't enough...

Did it work out?

Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech