Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I was having sudden powerloss where my Hyundai Santa Fe 2007…

Customer Question
Hello, I was having...

Hello, I was having sudden powerloss where my Hyundai Santa Fe 2007 2.7 was going into “limp home mode” with the engine light and ECS light coming on. I replaced the Throttle position sensor with a part from Techsmart. Everything seems reassembled correctly. However, the car is idling low when driving at slow speed and is making a whining sound. Is it a bad part? I was reading about the Powetrain Control Module upgrade but not sure if that is connected and if so, how to go about doing the upgrade. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle hesitate during acceleration? Or maybe speed up suddenly when you aren't even hitting the gas?

I can feel the car tugging/pulling forward with the brake pedel depressed. J

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Santa Fe yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I replaced the TPS

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The lights seem to flicker a bit now.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Hyundai
3/28/2018
Hyundai Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 3 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Have you had the fault codes checked before and after the TPS was replaced and if so what is the code that is coming up with this issue here?

Let me know, thanks, Pete.

I don’t have a code checker. Just a DIY project. From everything I have read online, the problem was in the sensor. I replaced the sensor and the warning lights went out. But now it’s making a whining sound. I found a post online that mentioned an update on the PCM that should be done in conjunction with the TPS replacement.

O.k., there are adaptive values that have to be reset/programmed into the PCM when the throttle position sensor is replaced.It sounds like you did correct the original fault since the lights went out.Make sure the throttle body is clean as well as carbon build up in the throttle body can cause issues with low idle as well as a whistle type noise.

To clean it you would need a shop rag with some carburetor or brake cleaner sprayed onto the rag to then wipe it clean to remove the carbon.I would do this first.

Then if the issue is still occurring you will need to have the reprogram done.This is usually done by a dealer but any independent shop should be able to do this with their scan tool as well.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks, Pete