Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I hope you can help me. I'm getting confusing instructions…

I hope you can...

I hope you can help me. I'm getting confusing instructions for completing a series of drive cycles for my
2010 hyundai sonata 2.4L.I'm trying to get my SMOG done, it didn't pass. I was told to make sure the ENGINE LIGHT is OFF, then do a series of DRIVE CYCLES. The number of times they told me (dealership) is absolutely insane and extremely difficult. Would you be able to help me or guide me to whoever can help with the Drive Cycles?

Mechanic's Assistant: What specifically didn't pass the test? When was your last oil change?

A week or so ago. didn't pass smog. im in California

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Sonata?

2010

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?

My mechanic has been working on it for a while as the engine light kept coming on. But even if he fixes it we have to do a DRIVE CYCLE TO pass Smog

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The key issue is conflicting info on the Drive Cycle

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hello, my name is ***** ***** to Just Answer! I will be assisting you with your questions today. Give me one moment while I review this.

Okay, I attached the docs you need to read and do for the monitors to complete. HOWEVER, if you still have a check engine light coming on,that problem has to be fixed first or the monitors will NEVER run to completion.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Ron, I went to the dealership this morning. He gave me a very different and very difficult Drive Cycle. He said that's California.... meaning they are strict. so, the Drive cycle for 2010 Hyundai Sonata (in California) is what I need clarity on.
Are you still there?

What I gave you will work. I happen to be an smog instructor for CA. If they give you any more trouble, tell them you want to see a referee. They will have to abide by your request. The referee will figure out how to get you through.

Thanks again, and please remember to rate me 5 stars now and keep our link.

rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor