Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My Hyundai Genesis Coupe feels "bumpy" when driving and the…

Good morning. My Hyundai...

Good morning. My Hyundai Genesis Coupe feels "bumpy" when driving and the acceleration almost shuts down when it should normally rev up. Any idesa??

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?

I have not. It is a 2011. I do not think I have changed the fluid or the filters. Just oil change and tire replacement. Would it be a need to add transmission fluid - have the fluid changed - or change the filters?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Genesis Coupe yourself? What have you tried so far?

If I could do it myself it would be a blessing. I have a daughter in college so my budget it tight. Do you have any "first" suggestions?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No - I think that would be it. Well wait - it also seems like the blower stays on constantly. Is there a button I push to turn that off - obviously besides the off button/ Thank you for your help!

3/27/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Is the check engine light on when it's running and you have the bumping type of feeling?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
NO - no lights at all are on!

Ok and thanks, ***** ***** tell me which engine you have in this?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
3.6
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
3.8??

Thanks, ***** ***** just a moment to grab some info.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
ty

What this sounds like to me is a bad mass air flow sensor. If it's reading the wrong amount of air coming into the engine the computer will make the wrong fuel mixture. The result is bucking, rough idle and power loss when you get on the gas. This doesn't normally set off the check engine light because the computer is getting info from the sensor.

Sometimes you can unplug the sensor, then start the car and drive it. If there is improvement, then the sensor should be replaced. This is mounted in the air tube to the throttle body. It will also turn on the check engine light when you unplug it so don't be alarmed.

I am sending a diagram along so you know where to look for it.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to earn a 5 star rating from you.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.
Thank you so much!

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
you are awesome!! I pray that is what it is!! I will def give a 5 star for the prompt and knowledgeable service!

I forgot to mention the blower. If it's not turning off using the off button, then it's likely either got a short right to the blower, or there is an issue with the heater control panel causing the concern. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

There should be some stars on the page for you to click on and I thank you.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Will you still be sending the diagram - and also any way for me to find and repair the short?

The diagram is on the link I sent to you above.

As for finding the short, that's a little bit more difficult. You will need a voltmeter and I can provide the wiring diagram and testing. If it's the auto climate control system however, it's likely going to need to have a scan tool hooked to it. They are much trickier. At least if it's diagnosed properly you could save some money doing the repair yourself.

Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
perfect! Thank you so much!!

You are very welcome, thank you for the rating and have a great day.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
You too!!
Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician