Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Had fuel level sensor replaced drove about 2 miles and car…

Customer Question
Had fuel level sensor...

Had fuel level sensor replaced drove about 2 miles and car died

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you certain it's the fuel pressure sensor that's in need of attention? What about the fuel rail? Have you checked it yet?

2012 hyundai sonata is my car and it was only the fuel level sensor that was replaced ...is there something that could cause it to die like this

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes i did the work and i had the car scanned and it was that it told me to replace it made sense as my gas guage had been acting strange

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

This service is free right

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Hyundai
3/26/2018
Hyundai Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
No this service isn't supposed to be free. We are professional technicians who do this in our spare time to help people and we don't get paid unless you hit accept and pay...but I'm going to tell you what's wrong anyway.Whoever installed the fuel level sensor probably messed up and didn't install the pump properly back into the tank, so either they didn't replace the fuel that was in your tank and your gas gauge is lying to you because the level sensor is sitting on top of wires or a hose inside the tank, or they didn't reconnect the hoses or wiring properly to the pump either inside the tank or at the connector on top of the tank.There is a small possibly that the fuel pump just failed because you were initially noticing signs of pump failure that was misdiagnosed as level sensor failure.If you'd like to make sure I'm compensated for my time hit accept next to my name.Contact the repair shop and tell them what happened I'm sure they will take care of you.
How could the fuel pump go out and I drove it 2miles also it starts after sitting for couple of hours or so but dies again in 10min or less
can you explain how the car ran if the fuel pump went bad and i never had no problems with starting my car until the part was replaced