Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have my 2009 Hyundai elantra and the transmission jerks a…

Customer Question
I have my 2009...

I have my 2009 Hyundai elantra and the transmission jerks a lot

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your transmission fluid last checked?

Specially after driving for an hour

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Elantra yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have tried changing the coolant and transmission oil

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It downshifts the gears a lot after its heated up

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Hyundai
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/26/2018
Hyundai Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 3 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Are any warning lights coming on on the dash at all with this issue?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

No there are no lights on and it behaves well under normal conditions.

O.k., what can cause this fault here is a fault with the throttle position sensor.If the throttle position sensor is sending a false signal this will cause the jerky transmission feel as well as down shift issue your seeing.I have seen this sensor act up before and not cause any codes to set making it difficult to diagnose.What has to be done is a compatible scan tool needs to be plugged into your vehicles data port to then read the data signals from this sensor to see if it is sending a false signal with it needing to be replaced.

I have also seen the transmission valve body cause this issue as well as a failing shift solenoid in the transmission.Usually, if any of these are at fault a warning light will come on and a fault code will set to indicate one is an issue.To be safe though even with no warning lights on I would have the fault codes checked/read out to see what codes are set and if any are set as this will help to locate the issue here.One of these does sound to be the fault of what you have described.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

I took the car to MR transmission and they said there are no error codes with the transmission. Are there any specific codes that get generated or just a wrong signal without error code with the sensor?

In some cases, you may see a code of P0120.But in some cases, no codes will set and the signals need to be monitored with a compatible scan tool to see if the throttle position sensor is sending a false signal indicating that it needs to be replaced.

They would also need to manually test the signals from the transmission solenoids and valve body operation which can include having to use a transmission fluid pressure test gauge.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete