Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I changed the starter and after installation, the car now…

I changed the starter...

I changed the starter and after installation, the car now turns over but doesn’t start. I found a wire that is coming from the side of engine just above the starter and goes into a harness that looks like is the same harness that the O2 sender is going into. Is his a ground wire for the sensor?

Mechanic's Assistant: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?

The O2 sensor. No codes, I don’t think. I don’t have a way to check

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?

2004 sonata

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am. Nothing yet. It was running and starting fine before I replaced the starter.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of. Just really wanting to know what that wire that is attached to engine block goes to. All of the plastic is gone from the wire and if this bad wire will cause the car to crank but not start

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2018
George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician

Hello I will help,

Is this a 2.7 L 6 cylinder?

sir

Right above the starter is the crankshaft position sensor. Either it is unplugged or the wire insulation has failed. You can get your fingers on it if you remove the heat shield on the starter or you might be able to see it from above just past the coils.

Is this wire that I mentioned a ground wire for the O2 sensor or battery?

Not a ground wire, see my reply above

Oh okay, I removed the starter that was installed to get a better look at the wire and all of the insulation is gone from it. Will this cause the engine to crank but not start?

Yes it will. Wire gets a lot of heat so the insulation fails . Not hard to replace.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/bwd-electrical-connector-28423/20975509-P

Let me know if you have further questions, if nothing further please complete the rating

Thanks

Okay. Thanks. How do I remove the side of the wire that is attached to engine? Looks like there is a bracket with 1 or 2 bolts,
I see the link. Thank you!!

Glad to help, take the old pigtail to the store so you can match the connector.

George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician