Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2013 sante fe sport, 122,000 miles, driving along, started…

2013 sante fe sport...

2013 sante fe sport, 122,000 miles, driving along, started making loud clicking sound, drove for about 30 minutes, died when I stopped for red light, tried to start, sounded like battery was nearly dead-wouldn’t start. Had to get it towed. Any ideas what might be wrong?

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

No, but was fine, didn’t leave lights on. Clicking sound was loud

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '13 Hyundai?

Sante fe sport

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

It was towed to dealership, am female, wanted some knowledge before I talked to them on monday

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not really

3/25/2018
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER

Hi, my name is ***** ***** you tried to start it, did the starter make a single click noise, but it did not turn over?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Can’t talk, pls text
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Email I meant

Ok, then your engine is most likely locked up, the the clicking noise was caused by low oil pressure, and if you comtinued to drive it, it most likely seized up, the dealer should first put a wrench on the crank pulley and see if the motor turns over by hand, if it does not, the the bearing are most likely seized up,Tim

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
No lights came on saying I needed oil
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Does that mean a new engine?

the light does not always come on, if the engine is seized, then Yes, you will need a new or rebuilt engine,Tim

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Have no idea what that might cost, range?

you can get a good rebuilt installed for about 3000 dollars, your other option would be a used engine, that would be around 2000 installed,Tim

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thank you
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
One of my male friends thought it might be the alternator

Anytime my friend, please dont forget to rate me, so I can get credit for helping, thnaks,Tim

Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER